Foundation for Physical Therapy Research (FPTR) Scholarships and Fellowships
APPLICATIONS ARE NOW CLOSED.
PROMOTION OF DOCTORAL STUDIES (PODS) I, II SCHOLARSHIPS & COMBINED PODS II/NIFTI
PODS I & II Scholarships, part of the Foundation’s Doctoral Opportunities for Clinicians and Scholars (DOCS) Program, are to fund post-professional doctoral students, who, having completed one full year of coursework, wish to continue their studies or have entered the dissertation phase of their post-professional doctoral program. The Foundation encourages applicants from general and specialty areas to apply for funding. Scholarship categories within the PODS program have been established for the three distinct phases of education and training:
- PODS I – $7, 500 In support of the coursework phase of post-professional doctoral studies prior to candidacy (as defined by the applicant’s institution). A PODS I scholarship is competitively renewable for a maximum of one additional year (new application required each year).
- PODS II – Up to $15,000 in support of the post-candidacy phase of post-professional doctoral studies (as defined by the applicant’s institution). A PODS II scholarship is competitively renewable for a maximum of one additional year (new application required each year).
- Combined PODS II/NIFTI – Available for 2023
Up to $115,000 in support of the final year of the post-candidacy phase + the first two years of the research fellowship (as defined by applicant’s institution(s)). This is a nonrenewable award. This award is offered every two years.
The maximum aggregate amount per applicant for all PODS I & PODS II post-professional doctoral scholarships is $45,000. NO OVERHEAD (indirect costs) ARE ALLOWED.
Note that FPTR is now using a new platform to simplify and streamline the application, peer-review process and manage our grants. All online submissions will now be accepted through Altum’s propsalCentral. Check out our Scholarship Reporting Instructions for more information on how to utilize this new system.
FPTR is committed to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion.
- Spring 2023 Application opens: Wednesday, October 5, 2022 (at 12 pm Noon Eastern Time)
- Application deadline: Wednesday, January 4, 2023 (at 12 pm Noon Eastern Time)
- Administrative Review: January 2023
- Scientific Review: February – March 2023
- Scientific Review Committee Scoring: April 2023
- Administrative Review of Reviews: May 2023
- Board Awards Scholarships & Fellowships: June 2023
- Earliest Notification: Tuesday, June 30, 2023
- Spring 2023 Application opens: Wednesday, October 4, 2023 (at 12 Noon Eastern Time)
- The dates included above are projected and subject to change. Please be sure to check back to this site for additional updates and register to receive the Foundation’s eNews using the subscription form on the right-hand column of this page.
The Foundation relies on donors to make all funding opportunities available. Thanks to the following donors who have established funds to support scholarships in specific areas:
- Bella May Fund
- Charlene Mae Nelson Endowment Fund
- Florence P. Kendall Fund
- Mildred Wood Endowment Fund
- Phoebe Rhomberger Fund
- Viva J. Erickson Fund
Special thanks to the American Physical Therapy Association (APTA) for annually supporting scholarship funding in any area of research.
Use this form to sign up for the Foundation for Physical Therapy Research monthly newsletter and periodic funding deadline alerts.