The Foundation for Physical Therapy Research (FPTR) is committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI). Some of our current activities include:
- FPTR participates on the Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Working Group as a member of the Health Research Alliance. This collaborative member organization of nonprofit research funders is committed to maximizing the impact of biomedical research to improve human health.
- FPTR is participating in a cohort led by the Open Research Funders Group, a partnership of philanthropic organizations committed to the open sharing of research output. A fellow will lead a cohort study of member organizations regarding the implementation of DEI initiatives across participating organizations. The cohort will run from 2022-24.
- In 2016, FPTR expanded the collection of demographic data from our two most recent in-house application platforms (AIBS and proposalCENTRAL) with additional gender data collection to match the NIH 2019 update of applications.
- FPTR has provided DEI Analysis of applications from 2015-21 to the APTA Research Committee lead. This information was presented at the APTA Combined Sections Meeting (CSM).
- Beginning in 2022, FPTR collects demographic data from funding applicants and collects data on the volunteer committee that reviews applicants (Scientific Review Committee members beginning in 2022).
- FPTR Board of Trustees latest strategic plan includes increasing a diverse applicant pool as a priority.